Five ingredients is all you need to make these simple, easy turkey-apple breakfast patties… and about ten minutes. In fact, you’ll barely have enough time to scramble some eggs. Okay, I admit it. I like breakfast sausage but I haven’t had it in years. There’s this thing I have about eating healthy. I love the smell and flavor of traditional breakfast links but not all the fat that’s in there. I’m very excited that I can enjoy a healthier breakfast sausage. (patty, actually – unless you have a sausage maker and some casing!) If you’re wondering about using white ground turkey breast, I tried it and it’s just too dry but here’s the good news – dark meat is nutritionally superior to white meat. Look at this:
- Calories: White meat = 161 calories. Dark meat = 192 calories.
- Fat: White meat = 4 grams. Dark meat = 8 grams.
- Protein: White meat = 30 grams. Dark meat = 28 grams.
- Iron: White meat = 1.57 mg. Dark meat = 2.4 mg.
- Zinc: White meat = 2.08 mg. Dark meat = 4.3 mg.
- Thiamine: White meat = .04 mg. Dark meat = .05 mg.
- Riboflavin: White meat = .13 mg. Dark meat = .24 mg.
- Selenium: White meat = 32.10 mcg. Dark meat = 40.90 mcg.
- Folate: White meat = .01 mcg. Dark meat = 10 mcg.
So don’t skip breakfast. Turkey sausage and eggs is full of protein and with a slice of whole grain bread, it’ll keep you going for hours. How about making your own breakfast sandwich with a whole grain english muffin, a fried egg, and a turkey patty. Note to self: Add that to my bucket list. To try my easy, healthy turkey breakfast patties, click here for the recipe.