For soft and fluffy pancakes use only whole wheat pastry flour and not whole wheat flour. And don’t over-mix the batter. You’ll need one large 1/2 lb apple. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons oil (I use extra light olive oil)
- 2 cups diced apple – 1/2-inch pieces (I use Granny Smith)
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, and oil in a measuring cup.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture, gently folding until almost combined.
- Fold in apples. Batter should be thick and lumpy.
- Preheat an electric non-stick griddle to 360-375° or a large non-stick pan to just under medium-high. (no greasing is needed but if desired, rub pan lightly with a stick of butter)
- Drop mounds onto griddle & cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
No whole wheat pastry flour? No buttermilk? See "Substitutions" in my blog.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.