This is a special occasion cake that is so good everyone will remember it and probably ask you for the recipe! It’s a classic white cake with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream frosting. Be sure to keep the finished cake refrigerated and ALWAYS AERATE YOUR FLOUR BEFORE MEASURING. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar for strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (*see note below)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar for whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper & grease paper.
- Sift dry ingredients onto wax paper & set aside.
- Combine buttermilk & vanilla & set aside.
- Beat butter & sugar in a large bowl for one minute.
- Beat in egg whites one at a time.
- On low speed, alternate adding flour mixture & buttermilk mixture, ending with the flour.
- Spread into pans & bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to cooling rack.
- While cake is baking, put strawberries and sugar into a large bowl, stirring occasionally, mashing a little.
- Whip the cream with sugar until firm.
- Layer half the berries & juices on bottom cake & cover with cream.
- Place the second cake layer on top and cover with remaining berries & their juice. Cover the whole cake with remaining cream.
Note: It may be easier to cover the cake using 2 cups (1 pint) of whipping cream. I've done it with 1 1/2 cups but sometimes it's a tight squeeze. So feel free to use an additional 1/2 cup of whipping cream (one pint total) with an additional tablespoon of sugar.
Click here for more details on my Strawberry Cake.