Brown or white rice both work well here. If I have time I use brown rice, otherwise I go with Uncle Ben’s converted rice. Kale has many antioxidants as well as calcium and vitamin K for bones. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups Dino kale (4 oz.) ribs removed, cut in small strips
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup long grain rice (see note below for brown rice)
- 1 1/2 cups water, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a large pan over med-high heat, sauté onion & garlic for about 2 minutes until onion starts to brown.
- Add kale and sugar, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, followed by water or stock, and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Notes: If using brown rice, increase liquid to 2 cups. and increase cooking time to 45 minutes.
For more on this recipe in my blog click here.