It's easy to make your own high-fiber healthy whole grain bread but IT WILL NOT BE A SOFT LOAF LIKE THE ORIGINAL. You'll need a 5-qt Dutch oven (from 3 to 6 qt will work) and it's good to have oven gloves and an oven thermometer. There is no kneading or even shaping with this foolproof recipe. - Jenny Jones
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast (active dry or instant)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cool water
- (about 2 Tablespoons extra flour for shaping)
- Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in water until it’s well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature for 10-12 hours.
- Place dough on a well-floured surface and sprinkle dough with a little flour. Using a scraper fold dough over 10-12 times & shape into a rough ball.
- Place in a parchment paper-lined bowl and cover with a towel. Let stand on counter top for 2 hours.
- After 1 1/2 hours place Dutch oven with lid in a cold oven and preheat to 450° F. My oven takes 35 minutes to reach 450°.
- When oven reaches 450° carefully, using oven gloves, lift the parchment paper and dough from the bowl and place gently into the hot pot. (parchment paper goes in the pot too) Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid and parchment paper. Return, uncovered, to oven and bake 10 - 15 more minutes.
Notes: The faster method using hot water does not work as well with 100% whole wheat loaf.
Bread Too Dense? Try 2 cups whole wheat flour + 1 cup bread or all purpose flour for a softer loaf.