What’s not to love? These are delicious high-fiber breakfast muffins that just happen to be full of health benefits. Olive oil and flaxseed are rich in omega-3 fatty acids to protect your heart, and flaxseed has lignans, too for breast & prostate cancer protection. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup finely ground flaxseed
- 1 cup wheat bran (aka Miller’s bran)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or insert paper liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir well.
- Combine wet ingredients in a measuring cup.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients all at once. Fold gently – do not over-mix.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.