For extra crunch you can reduce the oats to one cup and add 1/2 cup of crisp rice cereal. The longer you bake them, the crispier they will be. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable oil or extra light olive oil)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts (I use a mix of walnuts & pecans)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda & salt in a bowl or on wax paper.
- With electric mixer on medium-high, beat oil, sugars, egg & vanilla in a bowl for 3 minutes until thick.
- On low speed, stir in flour mixture, followed by nuts & chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
- With wet hands or using a scoop, shape into 2-inch balls and place onto baking sheet. With a wet fork, flatten each one to 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes until edges are golden. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
No whole wheat pastry flour? See Substitutions in my blog.