This is one of my most treasured recipes. It's a healthier Christmas sugar cookie with half the saturated fat than most. It's a soft dough and needs to be chilled before rolling. Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. When baking, I like to let the edges brown a little - they taste better. It’s impossible to eat just one! - Jenny Jones
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature (I use unsalted)
- 1/3 cup canola or extra light olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla.
- On low speed add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Wrap dough in foil and chill for 1 hour to overnight or freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4-inch thick and cut out shapes. (re-roll scraps)
- Lift cookies onto baking sheet, add sprinkles and bake for 9-12 minutes.
Note: For cut-outs, bake on a parchment–lined baking sheet.
For cookie press, bake on an ungreased baking sheet.