This low-fat, healthy dip is incredible! And it’s incredibly easy to make. Use bottled roasted peppers and caramelize the onions the day before; in fact, make the whole recipe a day or two before. It’ll taste even better. Red onions have the most health benefits but you can use any onions (try Vidalia or Maui if you can find them). Be prepared for ooh’s and aah’s. Everyone will ask you for this recipe. - Jenny Jones
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream (Daisy brand is good)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (fat free or reduced fat)
- 1/2 of a bottled roasted red pepper (about 1/3 cup)
- In a large pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring a few times as they reduce in volume.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for another 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned & caramelized. They reduce down to about one cup.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Place cooled onions in a food processor along with sour cream, yogurt and red pepper. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.