I love the mild cream cheese frosting with this spice cake but it also works with chocolate frosting. You can also make it with 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour and half all purpose. It's best to have all ingredients at room temperature. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, & salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or extra light olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat the sugar, oil & eggs for 2 minutes until thickened.
- On lowest speed add the buttermilk followed by the flour mixture.
- Spread into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- In a bowl with an electric hand mixer beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Very slowly add just enough milk to get a spreading consistency.
- Frost just the top in the pan or remove to a plate and frost the top and sides.
No Buttermilk? See "Substitutions" in my blog.