It’s true. There are some foods that are usually healthy, but not always:
1. “Green” potatoes – When potatoes are exposed to too much light and turn green under the skin, they can develop a toxin called solanine. If ingested, it can cause headaches, nausea, fatigue, and gastrointestinal problems. If you see any green, cut if off clean.
2. Rhubarb leaves – You never see rhubarb sold in the stores with the green leaves attached and there’s a reason. Rhubarb leaves contain dangerously high levels of oxalic acid which can cause serious kidney damage potentially leading to death. You’d have to eat a lot to kill you, but even a little can make you sick.
3. Mushrooms – Certain types of mushrooms can be deadly. Just one bite from a Death Cap, Destroying Angel, or Deadly Webcap can kill you. Death Caps alone contain over seven toxins and one bite can lead to a nasty death.
4. Cherries – If the seed inside a cherry is damaged in any way, it releases prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide), which can result in death.
5. Casu Marzu (Live maggot cheese) – It’s actually served in some fine restaurants in northern Italy. I won’t go into the details but you can google it.